We may earn money from the purchase of items mentioned in this post.
I’m a self-proclaimed Podcast Junkie and I’m okay with it.
I will not seek rehab for this “problem” because I don’t see it as a problem. In fact, I see it as a problem if you haven’t discovered the sheer amazingness of podcasts yet.
If you don’t listen to podcasts or worse yet don’t even know what a podcast is, you have come to the right place. By the time I am done with you, you will know what they are, why they are AMAZING, how to find them, and which ones I am recommending right now.
So what is a podcast?
The “official” definition from Wikipedia is an episodic series of digital audio or video files which a user can download and listen to. A podcast can be downloaded to your computer, a mobile app or your MP3 player.
Or more simply put it’s listening to a show on the radio, but much easier because you can listen on any of your devices, for any topics whenever you want. You don’t have to wait for their regularly scheduled air time.
Why are they amazing?
As a self-proclaimed podcast junkie I have no shortage of reasons why they are amazing. I will limit myself to the top reasons so as not to drone on and on.
- You can listen anywhere, anytime that is convenient for you. I simply download the episodes I want when I am near free Wifi (usually at home) and then listen away. I listen to podcasts while I do practically everything in my life: grocery shop, exercise, clean house, commute to work, and cook.
- There is a podcast for every topic you could ever imagine. Seriously, if you search for any topic of interest, you will find a podcast about it. There are funny, entertaining podcasts, true crime podcasts, business podcasts, personal development podcasts, finance podcasts, etc.
- If you like a podcast, you can subscribe for even easier listening. Every time there is a new show in the series it will automatically be added to your playlist. This way you don’t even have to pay attention to when a new show “airs.”
- You can listen to old episodes of your favorite podcasts. If you have just discovered podcasts, and you find one you love, you can go back and start from the beginning. This is especially important when it is a series such as Serial or Up & Vanished.
- You can learn, be entertained or motivated all while being productive doing other things. I can consume so much more content now that I can listen while I drive, exercise and clean. I no longer sit and watch television at night to relax, I will work around the house and listen to podcasts. Yes, I find it relaxing to organize around my house!
How do you find them?
If you have an Apple device, it could not be made easier for you. If you are new to podcasts, you will be shocked at how it’s been literally at your fingertips for so long. There is a purple icon that looks like a small “I” with two circles somewhat around it. If you click on that app, you are looking at podcasts.
If you do not have an Apple device, just visit iTunes and search for “podcasts.”
There are many ways to find podcasts you might like
- Recommendations from friends and self-proclaimed podcast junkies
- You can search for any topic that interests you (finance, health, parenting, organizing, etc.)
- If you click on “top charts” at the bottom, it will show you the current top podcasts.
- You will soon discover the world of podcasts is a rabbit hole. Once you listen to one, you will hear about others, and before you know it you’ll be subscribed to dozens.
A word of caution: Don’t be afraid to listen to one and decide it’s not for you. Delete it and move on. Likewise, there might be a podcast that you religiously listened to weekly, but over time you realize it’s just not doing anything for you anymore. Life is too short to suffer through a podcast that you’re not enjoying or learning something from. Unsubscribe, plain and simple. It’s easy to do.
How does this podcast thing work?
Once you have found a podcast to listen to, you simple click the play button and listen away. If you click on the tab that says “feed,” it will show you all of the different episodes for that podcast. Each episode usually has a short description of what is it about. The episodes are numbered and the most recent one will be at the top. Select ones of interest to you. If it is a series, you will want to scroll all the way to the bottom to select the oldest one so you can hear the “story” in order.
If you click on the three dots to the right of the episode, you will be given the option to download the episode as well. I like to download a few at a time so I have them available when I am out and about and don’t want to use up my data.
If you click on the gear (which is the icon located directly above “feed”), you will be able to subscribe to a podcast. This is where all of your settings are.
Which podcasts I’m recommending right now.
This list changes from week to week, but as of today, this is what I am recommending.
Sorta Awesome – (not just because the host’s name is Meg). This podcast is entertaining, educational at times, and just fun. It is geared towards moms of little ones.
The Popcast – I don’t even know how to describe this one, but it is downright hilarious. I’m pretty sure I laugh out loud every week.
What Should I Read Next – If you are a lover of books, you absolutely must check this one out. Caution: your list of must-read books will become so long you won’t be able to read them all in even one year.
Christy Wright’s Business Boutique- If you’re a female entrepreneur or want to be, this is the Podcast for you. She covers so many topics, and she is easy to listen to.
ProBlogger Podcast – If you are a blogger, or want to become one, this is a great podcast to get valuable information.
Up and Vanished – a true crime story about a beauty queen who was missing in a small town in Georgia for 12 years.
If you have not given podcasts a try, there is no time like the present.
Download an episode and the next time you’re out driving, going for a walk or cleaning listen for a while. I guarantee you there is a podcast out there for everyone.
Come to the dark side with me, but when you do, please share what you’re listening to. I love recommendations!